It has been almost two months since I last blogged. I almost thought about putting up a hiatus post…but I was too busy to think about that.
My life in the past two months:
1. Went to SXSW. Spoke on the panel moderated by the fabulous Denise Jacobs. Did a lot of napping and working while at SXSW. Probably experienced about 30% of what I set out to do at SXSW, but had fun none the less. I got to see lots of friends and coworkers from my old jobs as well as grad school, and got to meet a lot of super cool fabulous friends I have only known (or read up on) in the digital space for years. I even met a few new people as well. In the end, that’s what I really wanted, and I can’t wait to go back next year!
2. I cut my hair off. I thought I would cry about it. I have had long hair my entire life. Every female in my family has had long thick hair our entire lives. It’s what we half black/half navajo chicks do: we have lots of long hair, ad nauseum. I thought I was so attached to my hair that I would feel remorseful about chopping it off. I wasn’t. It’s just hair!! My disdain for my damaged and unhealthy hair probably helped coping with the cut. It’s growing back pretty fast though. I’m not entirely sure my haircut is actually cute. Some days I feel like I’m rockin Salt N Pepa’s hairdo from the Push It days. Other days, I swear I am bringing back the Jheri Curl. These days, I believe I have a long shag, a la Kanye West. At this point, I don’t exactly care. The idea is to cut off all the damage and start all over. I need to go in for one more chop to finish off the damage removal and then I am in regrowth mode. I like my hair short, but I also like how it grows back pretty fast. I’ll be in good shape in about 9 months.
3. I freaking launched a big project. Who knew I had it in me, hmm? (Pfft, I did!). I think it deserves it’s own separate post, and probably gives me a million other things to write about on my journey as new media consultant. Either way, I have a pretty big milestone under my belt, AND BOY AM I HAPPY. I am also writing for said project, check out my first piece here.
4. Me and my partner in crime are up to some shenanigans. E-shenanigans, to be exact. Beware.
5. I discovered I love being single. As much as me and my single but cute/smart/accomplished girlfriends complain about there being no good men out there, etc etc., I think I am realizing I like to be left alone. Dare I say I am too selfish to have a boyfriend? Hopefully my desire to overcome my selfishness (or lack thereof) is what will seperate the men from the boys. I’m just happy to know I am past that whole “woe is me/all men suck” phase. No time for that, there’s money to be made, friendships to be nurtured. Everything else will fall into place.
6. My dad came to New York for an entire week. My biological father, that is. I haven’t spent an entire week with him since I was 11 years old. I admit, it was a bit….different. Him not really being around much has created a situation where I feel like I am talking to a stranger. I don’t have any beef with my dad, really. It is what it is, it be what it bees. Hopefully his trip means we will both be a little more proactive about maintaining our relationship with one another. I was excited he had some baby pictures of me to show off. Boy was I cutie pie when I was a kid. I might scan them and show them off. Maybe.
Other than that I have been getting to know Manhattan (I super duper love walking around my neighborhood, especially now that it is springtime), hanging with my buds, missing California (need to go visit soon), worrying about the economy and the pork SARS (i.e. checking my bank account balance and washing my hands every 10 minutes), and growing up. It’s tough being a grown up. Word life.