Last night I went to Twiistup 3, which is an event for startups and the people who love them. It’s a chance for LA tech people to get together, mingle and check out the featured startups of the night. I’ve never been to an event like this before, as I’ve been keeping quite the low profile in the LA tech crowd. I think this year will be my year to get more involved and meet people. I don’t have an agenda behind this, I just think it’s important to get to know your peers.
A run down of how the event went:
- I got there an hour late, mostly because I like to be fashionably late to events sometimes. That, and I was at the salon getting my nails done earlier and you can’t rush perfection ;)
- Valet was SLOW. I ended up not using the free valet because the line was so long, I wasn’t sure they were still taking cars.
- I got a swag bag upon entrance, and they asked me to take a picture in front of the step and repeat wall (which was low on the step, high on the repeat), but I declined. No flash photography, please.
- The place was packed when I arrived. I went looking for my APOC friends and thought I would never find them, but luckily they found me.
- The drinks at the bar were strong.
- I started to walk around and look at the showoffs (those startups showing off their product that night) with one of my startup partners from my program. It was difficult getting info from the people because it was loud, and really packed. But, we got some one on one time with most of the booths, and it worked out eventually. I really liked the guy Dan at the SpeedDate.com booth. He was pretty friendly and informative, and I snagged a free webcam from him. If you haven’t seen this video of their product, check it out:
- Perez Hilton was in full effect. To be the main dude in about 80% of the official photos from the event, I sure did NOT see him as much as the gallery suggests. He came on stage to say a few words once, otherwise, I found him posted up in a booth on my way out. My friend wanted to take a picture with him, but he looked wrapped up with these people interviewing him.